An official website of the United States government

Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

Applying for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) & First-time Passport for a Minor

1. Complete online, print, and do not sign:

  • Form DS-2029: Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad (PDF, 105 kb)
  • Form DS-11: Application for a Passport

For First-time Social Security Number Applications: Applications for Finnish residents are processed by the Social Security Administration’s Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) located at the U.S. Embassy in Norway. For more information about the application process, please visit the Oslo Federal Benefits Unit website. Embassy Helsinki staff can provide you with certified copies of identity documents to complete your application after your CRBA and new passport have been processed.

2. Collect the following documents. Please note: All documents that are not in Finnish or in Swedish language will need to translated into English by an authorized translator.

  • The child’s birth certificate (virkatodistus) from local Magistrate (Maistraatti). The document MUST show the newborn child’s complete name, date and place of birth, and both parents’ complete names and date of birth.
  • Marriage certificate: An original or court certified copy of the marriage certificate issued by the appropriate authorities in the country in which the marriage took place. Church/Religious certificates are not acceptable. If the parents are not married, this is not required.
  • Divorce or death certificate: If either parent has been married previously, they should present the original or court certified divorce decree or death certificate for all previous marriages, if applicable.
  • Evidence of the parent(s) U.S. citizenship. The U.S. citizen parent(s) must present his/her U.S. passport. If the U.S. citizen parent was naturalized, the original Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship is required.
  • Proof of Physical Presence in the United States of the U.S. citizen parent(s). The U.S. citizen parent(s) will be asked to present proof of their physical presence in the United States. Examples of proof of physical presence include school records, university transcripts, original W-2s, and employment records. Please see the physical presence requirements for transmission of citizenship below and ensure you are bringing sufficient evidence to demonstrate the length of presence in the U.S. required for your circumstances.
  • Passport/identification document for non-U.S. citizen parent (If applicable): The non-U.S. citizen parent must bring his/her passport or other government issued photo identification document. Please note that Finnish Driving License is not acceptable.
  • Passport photograph for the child. One passport sized (2×2 in) photograph – see photo requirements for specific information
  • Self-addressed return envelope large enough for full-page document (8.75×11.25 in or 22×28.5cm) to be mailed without folding: Please check with your postal service for correct postage for an envelope weight of 250g. Registered mail is recommended. Envelope is mailed from the Embassy directly to you. Finnish stamps are acceptable for this purpose.

In certain cases, it may be necessary to submit additional documents, including affidavits of paternity and support. You will be informed at the interview if any additional document is required

3. Once you have all the required documents on hand schedule an appointment using the online service. Please be sure to select “Report the birth abroad of a child of a U.S. citizen and/or apply for the child’s first passport.” If you mistakenly schedule a passport service, we may not be able to accommodate you, and another appointment may be required.) Bring all original documents with you to your appointment.

Obtaining Copies of the Report of Birth

The Consular Report of Birth (Form FS-240) is a basic citizenship document. The original report has been sent to the Department of State for its permanent retention, together with the documents which you submitted and which constitute the supporting evidence of your child’s acquisition of United States citizenship. The certification (Form FS-240) which you have received from this office may later be used in registration for school, obtaining employment, and for similar purposes.

If you wish to have additional copies of the consular report of birth, you may obtain them by writing to the U.S. Department of State, Passport Services Correspondence Branch, CA/PPT/PS/PC Suite 510, 1111 19th Street NW, Washington, DC 20522-1705. A request for a FS-240 must include the original. If the original FS-240 is not available (lost) a notarized affidavit attesting to its disposition is necessary. Your request should include complete identifying information: full name of the child, date and place of birth, names of parents, serial number of the FS-240, if possible, and the consular office which recorded the birth.

The request for a certified copy of the Consular Report of Birth must be accompanied by the required fee. Send a check or money order in the amount of US 50.00 payable to “Department of State”.

Dual Citizenship

Should your child also have claim to the citizenship of another country, you should be aware of the following U.S. law:

“Under Section 215 (b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1185 (b) it is unlawful, except in specific circumstances, for any citizen of the United States to depart from or enter, or attempt to depart from or enter, the United States without a valid passport”.

U.S. citizens who arrive at the port of entry without the required valid U.S. passport may be required to apply for a passport waiver, for which a separate fee may be collected.

Application for U.S. Passport and Social Security Number

Below are links to two applications you will need to print out and complete in order to obtain a U.S. passport and social security number for him/her. Make sure to review the instructions for each form carefully before completing the forms. After completing all forms you should email or mail them to us.