Ask a COVID-19 Question
Updated: January 22, 2021
*** Effective January 26, all airline passengers to the United States ages two years and older must provide a negative COVID-19 viral test taken within three calendar days of travel. Alternatively, travelers to the U.S. may provide documentation from a licensed health care provider of having recovered from COVID-19 in the 90 days preceding travel. Check the CDC website for additional information and Frequently Asked Questions.
- The number and incidence of new COVID-19 cases has increased in Finland. The Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare reports that the epidemiological situation could worsen rapidly. Certain national and regional restrictions and recommendations are in place to slow down and prevent further spread.
- Are PCR and/or antigen tests available for U.S. citizens in Finland? Yes
- If so, are test results reliably available within 72 hours? Yes
- U.S. citizens can obtain COVID-19 tests and Fit2Fly certificates via various private clinics, including (but not limited to) Mehiläinen, Terveystalo, Aava and Pihlajalinna.
- In addition, at the Helsinki-Vantaa airport, there is a private operator, Aava Medical Centre, where departing passengers may get tested. The center is open Mon-Fri 08.00-17.00 and is located in the gate area after the security check, next to gate 26. (Test results may take up to a day.)
- Approximate cost of testing is 200 to 300 Euro and must be paid up front.
- Test results are normally available within 24 hours.
- Test results are normally delivered via text message or by email. The Fit2Fly certificate often comes in both Finnish and English and must be retrieved in person from the clinic, although some clinics will scan and email.
COVID-19 Vaccine Information:
- Has the government of Finland approved a COVID-19 vaccine for use? Yes
- The United States Government does not plan to provide COVID-19 vaccinations to private U.S. citizens overseas. Please follow host country developments and guidelines for COVID-19 vaccination.
- Information from the Finnish Institute for Health & Welfare regarding COVID-19 vaccination.
- Information from the CDC regarding COVID-19 vaccination.
Entry and Exit Requirements
- Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? No
- Some exceptions exist for essential travel, transit, work-related travel, those with Finnish residence permits, and family members of Finnish nationals. Entry is determined upon arrival and permission is not granted in advance of travel. U.S. citizens planning to travel to Finland should prepare for the possibility that entry may be denied. Please direct any questions about these exceptions or this process directly to the Finnish Border Guard.
- Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry? No
- A 10-day period of self-isolation is recommended for travelers arriving in Finland from the United States. Travelers can shorten their self-isolation period at their discretion if they take two voluntary COVID-19 tests.
- Are health screening procedures in place at airports and other ports of entry? Yes
- All travelers arriving at the Helsinki airport from abroad will offered a COVID-19 test. The test is voluntary and free of charge.
- All travelers arriving in Finland are eligible for free COVID-19 testing via the FINENTRY program.
- Testing will be implemented at other ports of entry at a later date.
- Is a curfew in place? No
- Are there restrictions on intercity or interstate travel? No
- Are U.S. citizens required to quarantine? No
- If you arrive in Finland from a travel restricted country (including the United States), it is recommended that you self-quarantine for 10 days. Travelers can shorten their self-isolation period at their discretion if they take two voluntary COVID-19 tests.
- Are commercial flights operating? Yes
- Is public transportation operating? Yes
- Masks or face coverings are recommended.
- Services for U.S. citizens: emergency services, passports, Consular Reports of Birth Abroad, notarial services
- Please note that appointments for renunciation or relinquishment of U.S. citizenship are not currently available
- Visa services: Very limited non-immigrant and immigrant visa services when travel is in the U.S. national interest
- Finnish nationals and permanent residents only
- Finnish Government
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Finland
- Finnish Border Guard
- Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare