An official website of the United States government

Driving in Finland

In the United States, drivers licenses are issued by state governments through their Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

The Embassy and the Consulate General have no authority to issue any driver’s licenses, amend or extend them. This can only be done by the DMV stateside.

Addresses of the DMV’s in the U.S. can be obtained from the website of the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators.

U.S. drivers licenses are valid in the Finland provided the holder is here in tourist status and your stay in Finland is under one year.

If you are moving to Finland and your stay will be more than one year, you are required to change a US driving license to a local license. You should change your license well before one year from the date you arrive in Finland. For further information, please visit the Finnish police website.