The American Resource Center (ARC), managed in a partnership between the Public Affairs Office of the U.S. Embassy in Helsinki and the University of Helsinki, is an extensive resource for current, in-depth information focusing primarily on political, economic and social issues and on American culture.
The American Resource Center seeks to further the understanding of America and its institutions. It specializes in providing the latest and most accurate information about the U.S. government and its policies, American values, history, culture and character.
The collection is strong in social sciences, government and politics, economics and international relations, American history and literature, and U.S. management practices. The holdings comprise more than 10,000 volumes, subscriptions to 80 periodicals, 2 American newspapers, and some 100 DVDs. See details below.
The ARC provides orientation programs for effective use of the materials and assists with inquiries about the U.S.
The ARC collection may be accessed through the HELKA-online catalog. Lending services are available according to the regulations of the Helsinki University Library. Further information tel. 02941 23920.
The American Resource Center is managed jointly by the Public Affairs Office of the U.S. Embassy in Helsinki and the University of Helsinki.
Contact Information/Hours of Operation
American Resource Center at the Kaisa House
P.O.Box 53 (Fabianinkatu 30)
00014 University of Helsinki
Telephone: +358-50-448 5704
Please do not contact the American Resource Center regarding consular affairs, passports, visas, or legal affairs. Please contact the Consulate regarding these questions.
Hours: *Reference services: Mon-Fri 9-17
Please check the opening hours for the Kaisa Library.
*Exceptions to reference service hours may apply.
May 10: Ascension Day. The U.S. Embassy Finland and the ARC are closed.
May 28: Memorial Day. The U.S. Embassy Finland is closed but the ARC remains open.
May 31: “The American Presidency and the 2018 Congressional Elections“. Public presentation by Dr. Peter Miller. Kaisa Library Auditorium, Fabianinkatu 30, 7th floor, 3 pm. (PDF 1 MB)
ARC staff will provide reference service to all customers using a wide range of resources. The reference collection is most effectively used in person, however, ARC staff will answer queries submitted by telephone or email.
The American Resource Center subscribes to the following periodicals and newspapers in 2018. Backfiles are kept for 2 years and the current year for most titles. Newspapers are kept only for 3 months.
Periodicals and newspapers in alphabetical order:
- American Indian
- American Literature
- American Prospect
- American Quarterly
- American Road
- The American Scholar
- American Studies
- American Theatre
- Art in America
- The Atlantic Monthly
- Challenge: The Magazine of Economic Affairs
- Change: The Magazine of Higher Learning
- Choice: Current Reviews of Academic Books
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Columbia Journalism Review
- Congressional Digest
- Consumer Reports
- Cowboys and Indians Magazine
- The Nation
- The National Interest
- National Parks
- National Review
- New Perspectives Quarterly
- The New Republic
- New York
- The New York Review of Books
- The New York Times
- The New York Times Book Review
- The New York Times Magazine
- The New Yorker
- The SAIS Review
- San Francisco Magazine
- Scientific American
- Sports Illustrated
- Time (domestic edition)
The American Resource Center has a collection of some 100 DVDs featuring American society and culture. This catalog is an annotated listing of our holdings, arranged by the subject area.
All films are in PAL format and they are available for home and educational use free of charge. The loan period is 2 weeks.
If you have questions about the programs, please contact the American Resource Center.
- DVD catalog available in PDF format (PDF 394 KB)
- Study Guides DVD Collection: Upgrade Your Writing (PDF 304 KB)
- Study Guides DVD Collection: Writing a Great Research Paper (PDF 298 KB)
- The Great Courses Series (PDF 1.04 MB)
ARC Monthly Newsletters
- April 19, 2018
- March 16, 2018
- February 23, 2018
- January 31, 2018
- November 30, 2017
- October 19, 2017
- September 22, 2017
- August 22, 2017
- June 21, 2017
- May 11, 2017
- April 6, 2017
ARC Columns at SAM Magazine, published by Suomi-Amerikka Yhdistysten Liitto (in Finnish)
- 10×10 faktaa Suomi-USA -suhteista, osa 3 (01/2018) (PDF 4.5 MB)
- 10×10 faktaa Suomi-USA -suhteista, osa 2 (04/2017) (PDF 454 KB)
- 10×10 faktaa Suomi-USA -suhteista, osa 1 (03/2017) (PDF 252 KB)
- Mormonien kirkkoa tehdään tunnetuksi lähetystyön kautta (2/2017) (PDF 218 KB)
- Helmikuu on afroamerikkalaisen kulttuurin kuukausi (1/2017) (PDF 236 KB)
- fact-check (4/2016) (PDF 117 KB)
- Amerikka-kirjasto 70 vuotta (3/2016) (PDF 120 KB)
- Amerikka-kirjaston arkiston helmiä (2/2016) (PDF 1.5 MB)
- Suomalaisten siirtolaisten ja Amerikan alkuperäisväestön jälkeläiset Fintiaanit (1/2016) (PDF 170 KB)
- Siirtolaisuus, pakolaisuus ja Amerikka (4/2015) (PDF 1.48 MB)
- Katse kohti arktista aluetta (3/2015) (PDF 1.28 MB)
- Tuntemattomasta sotilaasta Unknown Soldiers (2/2015) (PDF 1.12 MB)
- 375 syytä juhlaan (1/2015) (PDF 944 KB)
- Osavaltioiden kirjoista kuuluisimmat (4/2014) (PDF 828 KB)
ARC Article at Tieteessä tapahtuu, published by Tieteellisten seurain valtuuskunta (in Finnish only)
- Tiedekirjasto tänään: Amerikka on lähempänä kuin arvaisitkaan (6/2014) (PDF 38 KB, in Finnish)
ARC Article at Kajo´ magazine, published by Suomen intiaaniyhdistys ry (in Finnish only)
- Intiaanitietoutta Amerikka-kirjastosta (2/2010), (PDF 229 KB)
- Elections 2016 Newsletter (11/2016) (PDF 1.87 MB)
- California travel night book brochure (04/2016) (PDF 1.27 MB)
- New York Travel Night book brochure (03/2015) (PDF 3.5 MB)
Online Resources (compiled by the ARC)
Tracing People in the U.S. (02/2017), (PDF 55 KB)
- Sketchbook USA: Yhdysvallat tänään (PDF 4 MB): A Finnish language publication on the United States describes the American society from all aspects, covering Americans as a nation, as citizens, at work, at school, in communities, and at play. Produced by the U.S. Embassy Helsinki.