Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Helsinki, Finland (May 26, 2020)
U.S. Embassy Helsinki will be sending a weekly update to ensure all U.S. citizens in Finland have the latest information about COVID-19 and local conditions. Updated information will be prefaced with (NEW). If different or additional information would be useful, please email us with your suggestions at HelsinkiACS@state.gov.
Effective March 17, U.S. Embassy Helsinki has suspended routine consular services. Our overseas passport operations continue to be severely limited by COVID-19. U.S. citizens should expect significant delays when applying for routine passport or citizenship services. If you are a U.S. citizen in Finland, the U.S. Embassy in Helsinki may issue you a limited validity emergency passport for urgent travel needs only. To request an emergency passport appointment please send an email request to HelsinkiACS@state.gov.
For emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, please visit our website for additional information.
International commercial flights continue to depart Helsinki-Vantaa airport and Mariehamn airport. U.S. citizens seeking to depart Finland should work with the airlines to arrange travel. Departing U.S. citizens should monitor the entry and exit requirements of any third country they are transiting, available on the U.S. Embassy’s COVID-19 Information page for that country. Many travelers worldwide have reported unexpected flight cancellations and limited flight availability. If your travel has been disrupted, please contact your airline.
The Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare has confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Finland.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Travel Notice for Finland.
Actions to Take:
· Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
· For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations
· Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
· Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
· Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Finland.
· Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
For further information:
· U.S. Embassy Helsinki, Finland
+(358) (9) 616-250
· State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
· Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates