An official website of the United States government

Living in Finland

Please note: The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the entities or individuals whose names appear on the following lists. Inclusion on this list is in no way an endorsement by the Department or the U.S. government. Names are listed alphabetically, and the order in which they appear has no other significance. The information on the list is provided directly by the local service providers; the Department is not in a position to vouch for such information.


Passport required. Tourist/business visa not required for stay up to 90 days (the 90 day period begins when entering the Nordic area: Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, and Sweden.) This also applies to the countries party to the Schengen accord. For longer stays (e.g. employment, studies) residence/work permits required. Contact the Embassy of Finland, 3301 Massachusetts Ave., N.W., Washington, D.C. 20008 (202/298-5800), or nearest Consulate General: Los Angeles (310/203-9903) or New York (212/750-4400). Internet: www.finland.org.

CAVEAT: There is no provision in U.S. law for intercession by foreign embassies on behalf of their citizens who wish to circumvent our established procedures. For this reason, the Embassy is not in a position to intercede with the Finnish authorities on behalf of Americans seeking visa exemptions and work permits.

Americans who disregard the visa requirement and apply in Finland for a work permit are required to leave the country to obtain the appropriate visa at a Finnish consular office in the United States. Americans should not come to Finland in the expectation of being able to find a job and to regularize their status after arrival. These expectations are unlikely to be fulfilled and personal hardship may result. Foreigners recently arrived or temporarily resident in Finland are not eligible for Finnish Social Security and unemployment benefits. In some cases, individuals may have difficulties with the Finnish authorities and may face expulsion. For information on how to obtain visas to Finland, please see the Finnish Immigration Service website.

Useful Websites for American Citizens Residing in Finland