Location: Finland, countrywide
Finnish authorities have announced the closure of four ports of entry/exit along Finland’s southeastern border to/from Russia effective from 12:01 a.m. on November 18, 2023 until February 18, 2024. The embassy anticipates the following status for Russia/Finland ports of entry:
o Niirala, Nuijamaa, Imatra, and Vaalimaa border crossing points are closed for passenger traffic.
o Raja-Jooseppi and Salla border crossing points are open for passenger traffic Monday−Friday 8:00−18:00 and Saturday−Sunday 9:00−17:00 Finnish time.
o Kuusamo border crossing point is open for passenger traffic Monday−Friday 8:00−15:00 Finnish time.
o Vartius border crossing point is open for passenger traffic from 8:00−19:00 Finnish time.
- Travelers may not cross the land border on foot.
- U.S. Citizens with expired passports may transit Finland en route the United States but must contact the U.S. Embassy in Helsinki. at HelsinkiACS@state.gov in advance and provide the traveler’s name, arrival time, vehicle information, and U.S. airline ticket information.
- Passengers transiting Finland may cross the border outside regular opening hours in order to make connecting flights/ferries. Passengers must show proof of onward travel and meet all entry requirements. You can find requirements for entry from the Finnish Border Guards website.
The U.S. government’s ability to provide routine or emergency services to U.S. citizens in Russia is severely limited, particularly in areas far from the U.S. Embassy in Moscow, due to Russian government limitations on travel for embassy personnel and staffing, and the ongoing suspension of operations, including consular services, at U.S. consulates.
At this time U.S. Citizens are advised to not travel to Russia – more information on the State Department’s Level 4 Travel Advisory (Do Not Travel) can be found on travel.state.gov.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Do not travel to Russia.
- Review the State Department’s Russia Departure site for further information.
- U.S. Embassy Helsinki, Finland
+(358) (9) 616-250
- Department of State – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444