U.S. Embassy Helsinki is aware of a stabbing incident in Turku, Finland. The Embassy is working with local authorities to identify and provide assistance to any U.S. citizens who may be affected by the attack. At this time, we have no reports of any U.S. citizen injuries or deaths.
We ask U.S. citizens who are safe and unharmed to contact family and friends directly to advise them of your safety and whereabouts.
Review your personal security plans, remain aware of your surroundings, including local events, and monitor local news stations for updates. Be vigilant and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
For further information:
- We urge U.S. citizens in Finland to enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Europe Travel Alert, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country-Specific Information Sheet for Finland.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Finland, located at Itäinen Puistotie 14B Helsinki, at +358 9-616-250, or by e-mail at HelsinkiACS@state.gov, or visit the Embassy website at https://fi.usembassy.gov/.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.