Citizenship Services

Welcome to American Citizen Services at the U.S. Embassy Finland. We provide services for United States Citizens in Finland. We are open for appointments Monday to Friday. We are closed to the public on U.S. and Finnish Public Holidays.

Please note: There is no walk-in service for United States citizens who require a service related to passports, citizenship or birth registration. These services are by appointment only. Please see Tips for Visiting.

A first-time applicant is an adult (age 18 or older) who has a claim to U.S. citizenship and who has never been documented as a U.S. citizen nor held a U.S. passport. Please note that at least one parent must have been a U.S. citizen at the time of your birth. Scroll down for information on the required documentation, forms and how to make an appointment.

If you, after reviewing the transmission requirements carefully, believe that you have a claim to U.S. citizenship, you must appear in person at the Embassy to sign passport application form DS-11 available at the U.S. State Department website. Please complete the form prior your appointment. To accompany this application, one passport photographs is required. The Embassy will reject any photographs that do not meet the specified requirements.

In addition, your U.S. citizen parent must also complete the Affidavit of Physical Presence DS-5507 (PDF 1.6 MB). It may be signed at the time of your appointment, or if your U.S. citizen parent is unable to accompany you, it can be signed before a U.S. Notary Public. You will then have to bring the notarized DS-5507 to your appointment together with the form DS-11.

At the appointment you must also submit:

  • proof of your U.S. citizen parent’s U.S. Citizenship, e.g. a U.S. Birth Certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a U.S. Citizen, or a U.S. passport;
  • your Finnish birth certificate which must list the names of your father and mother – a extract from the population system “virkatodistus” from magistrate or maistraatti;
  • proof of your U.S. citizen parent’s physical presence in the U.S.Proof could consist of school transcripts, college transcripts, military service records, or employment records etc. You must bring photocopies of all documents pertaining to your parent’s physical presence in addition to the actual documents. If not, we will keep all originals, including passports; and
  • proof of your parents’ marital status at the time of your birth, and, if applicable to either parent, original divorce decrees. If your parents were not married at the time of your birth, and your father is/was a U.S. citizen, you must also submit the signed and dated paternity acknowledgment in original;
  • Self-Addressed A-3 sized envelope. Prepare an envelope with a shipment label weight of 250g
  • (Please note that if your U.S. citizen parent is deceased, you must also present proof that your parent was a U.S. citizen at the time of your birth, e.g. a U.S. birth certificate/Certificate of Naturalization and/or a U.S. passport issued after your birth. You must also present the original death certificate.

When all forms have been completed and all necessary documents gathered, please make an appointment online to come to the U.S. Embassy in Helsinki. When on the appointment website choose the service called “Under 16, first passport.”

Find information about renouncing your U.S. citizenship on the website.

An individual may exercise the right to formally renounce U.S. citizenship in accordance with Section 349(a)(5) INA.

Renunciation of U.S. citizenship, is a very serious and irrevocable exercise and should therefore only be undertaken after serious consideration of the consequences. You must demonstrate that you are fully aware of the consequences, before you receive an appointment. Please read all of the information below on this website and under the links provided.

Renunciation of U.S. citizenship in Finland can only be done in person, by appointment, at the U.S. Embassy in Helsinki.

To receive an appointment for an application to renounce you must complete the following forms and provide your answers to the questionnaire below. Then send this in an e-mail to:

Please review and complete:

Form DS-4081 (PDF 199 KB): Statement of Understanding Concerning Consequences and Ramifications of Relinquishment or Renunciation of U.S. citizenship and

Form DS-4080 (PDF 263 KB): Oath/Affirmation of Renunciation of Nationality United States which are used in connection with renunciation of U.S. citizenship.  After completion mail or scan and email them to The original documents will have to be signed before an American consular officer at the time of your renunciation.  At this time you also have to turn in your current U.S. passport and show proof of any other nationality.

In addition, you may choose to submit a separate written explanation of your reasons for renunciation at your appointment.

You may also wish to refer to the travel website of the State Department (Law and Policy), for more information regarding renunciation and dual citizenship.

Please note that you will also be required to file IRS form 8854 directly with the Internal Revenue Service.  For additional details and to download the form, please see the IRS website.

Before we can schedule an appointment for your renunciation at the U.S. Consulate in Helsinki we require the following information from you:

  • Your current address, telephone number and e-mail address;
  • Your full name as listed in your U.S. passport;
  • All previous names that you have used, if any;
  • a scan or photocopy of your completed but not signed Form DS-4080;
  • a scan or photocopy of your completed but not signed Form DS-4081;
  • Manner in which you acquired U.S. citizenship
  • Date and place of birth (city and state/country);
  • Your most recent U.S. Passport Number;
  • Your Social Security Number;
  • Your Last known U.S. address;
  • Your other nationality, if applicable;
  • Date when you acquired your other nationality;
  • Manner in which you acquired your other nationality (e.g. by birth, naturalization, etc. If you naturalized provide the date and place.);
  • Please list all periods of time that you have spent in the U.S., from birth until present time;

N.B.:  Effective September 12, 2014, the fee for the “Administrative Processing of Formal Renunciation of U. S Citizenship” is $2,350.00. It will be collected at the time of your appointment. Credit card payments are preferred. No third party can be present during a renunciation interview.


Form DS-4079 (PDF 142 KB): Determination of Possible Loss of U.S. Citizenship. If you have relinquished your U.S. citizenship in the past but have not requested a Certificate of Loss of Nationality, you may complete Form DS-4079 in lieu of Form DS-4080.

More information on relinquishment can be found on

Effective November 9, 2015, the application/processing fee for relinquishment of U.S. citizenship is equal to the fee for renouncing U.S. citizenship: $2,350.

If you have requested a Certificate of Loss of Nationality but no longer possess this document, you may write to the Department of State.

Finland  allows dual citizenship. U.S. citizens residing in Finland who are interested in applying for Finnish citizenship should be aware of the following guidance on U.S. nationality policy:

Information on dual nationality

Entering and Departing the U.S.

According to Section 215 of the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1185), it is illegal for an American citizen to enter or leave the U.S. on anything other than an American passport. This applies to dual citizens as well, meaning that persons holding e.g. both Finnish and American citizenships and passports must enter and leave the U.S. on a U.S. passport. They may not enter/leave the U.S. on a Finnish passport. This applies to children as well as adults.