Driving in Finland

Please note: The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the entities or individuals whose names appear on the following lists. Inclusion on this list is in no way an endorsement by the Department or the U.S. government. Names are listed alphabetically, and the order in which they appear has no other significance. The information on the list is provided directly by the local service providers; the Department is not in a position to vouch for such information.

In the United States, drivers licenses are issued by state governments through their Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

The Embassy and the Consulate General have no authority to issue any driver’s licenses, amend or extend them. This can only be done by the DMV stateside.

Addresses of the DMV’s in the U.S. can be obtained from the website of the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators.

U.S. drivers licenses are valid in the Finland provided the holder is here in tourist status and your stay in Finland is under one year.

If you are moving to Finland and your stay will be more than one year, you are required to change a US driving license to a local license. You should change your license well before one year from the date you arrive in Finland. For further information, please visit the Finnish police website.