An official website of the United States government

Victims of Crime

American citizens visiting or residing in Finland should note that the emergency number for the Finnish police, rescue, and fire departments is 112.

The State Department is committed to assisting U.S. citizens who become victims of crime while abroad.  We help in two ways:

  • Overseas: consular officers, agents, and staff work with crime victims and help them with the local police and medical systems.
  • In the United States: our office of Overseas Citizens Services will stay in touch with family members in the United States, and help provide U.S.-based resources for the victim when possible.
If you are the victim of a crime in Finland

First: Report the crime to Finnish authorities.
The emergency number for Finnish police, rescue, and fire departments is 112.

Resources for Crime Victims in Finland
If you have been the victim of a crime in Finland, there are social services available to you in your municipality of residence. Information about crime victim support and services can be found on the Finnish Crime Victims Support Authority (Rikosuhripäivystys) website. The Finnish Crime Victim Support Authority is available to victims of crime in Finland and provides victim compensation as well as extensive information concerning legal proceedings, investigations, and medical care.

Next: Contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate

  • Consular officers are available for emergency assistance 24 hours/day, 7 days/week.
  • Contact information for U.S. Embassies and Consulates overseas can be found here or by going to our individual Country Specific Information pages.
  • To contact the Department of State in the U.S. call 1-888-407-4747 (from the U.S. or Canada) or (202) 501-4444 (from overseas).
  • Contact the local police to report the incident and get immediate help.  Request a copy of the police report.