Individuals going to the United States to perform diplomatic or official business on behalf of a foreign government are entitled to “A visas” (and cannot travel on the Visa Waiver Program/ESTA). Employees and representatives of accredited international organizations are entitled to and must travel on “G visas” (and cannot travel on the Visa Waiver Program/ESTA). Spouses and unmarried, minor children are entitled to the same visa category as the principle applicant. Applicants for visa categories: A-1, A-2, G-1, G-2, G-3, and G-4 are usually exempt from the visa fee (MRV fee), fingerprinting and personal interview requirements.
• A diplomatic/official note (or its equivalent) from the appropriate host country government office, foreign mission, or international organization must be presented with A and G visa applications. The note should include the following information concerning the principal applicant:
(1) Name and date of birth,
(2) Position and title,
(3) Place of assignment or visit,
(4) Purpose of travel,
(5) Brief description of duties,
(6) Travel date,
(7) Anticipated length of stay or tour of duty in the United States,
(8) The names, relationships, and dates of birth of any dependents and other members of household who will be accompanying or joining the principal.
• Confirmation page of your electronically signed and submitted DS-160 visa application form filled out at https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/
• Valid passport
• Registered postage paid return envelope
• One photo adhering to the general passport photo regulations found here: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/requirements/photos.html
Official visa applications should be sent to the Consular Section by mail. Only the Consular Section, no other U.S. Embassy personnel, can receive official visa applications.
Our mailing address is:
US Embassy Helsinki
Itäinen Puistotie 14b
Please direct all inquiries to the U.S. Embassy Helsinki’s Consular Section: HelsinkiNIV@state.gov.